27 October: Suceviţa and points north cont'd


After spending a day the in town of Rădautz looking around aimlessly for musicians whose names I had but not their exact location, it got late and I had to think about a place to stay. A friend of a friend lived not too far from the area, but I had not been able to reach him. Bernard Houliat, an author living in Suceviţa with his Romanian wife Erevelen (please tell me I got that right), was someone Bob Cohen directed me to. I finally did reach him on this very day. It was his wife who answered the phone and when I told her we were in the area and were looking for a pension, she laughed. What I didn’t know was that they themselves had a pension, of sorts. The Houliat’s home was destroyed in the July and August floods, so they were staying in what normally would have been a pension owned by the family. They welcomed us very warmly; we had dinner and chatted late into the night. Bernard had a Maremureş trumpet violin whose bridge had fallen so I fixed it and had a little play on it. We talked about Mucea (sp?) and they said they knew he was not leaving town until a couple days later. They would try to organize a get together for me with them. The next day we drove out to a village to meet another fiddler they pointed me to but we ran out of time before we found him; I wanted to get back to the Houliat’s to meet Mucea, which actually didn't work out. We did see these two little kids in the village we went to.

Back to the welcome page